Thursday, July 15, 2010

new musings

So - I have been told that I have not been musing enough. One of the reasons for that is that I have been lazy and have been doing most of my updating of things via Facebook. Another reason is that I have just been busy. The busy-ness is leading to tiredness and tiredness does not produce much in the way of musings. In fact it tends to make me look for "a-musements".

If you have been reading my facebook comments and statuses you know that I have been running around a lot. My "portfolio" of job titles seems to have grown a good bit so that means more stress as I branch out into areas that I do not feel as competent to handle. Recently an authority on Leadership was here in Albania and spoke to our members. (Well, he has published a book or two on leadership so I guess that makes him an authority, right?) Anyway, he said that much of leadership involves doing those things you don't really like to do or feel as competent to do, so I guess that means my leadership skills are growing - right? I hope so as I am being thrust into more situations where I need to lead.

So right now, to be entirely honest, I find myself tired, ready for a vacation (which will not happen for about 6 more weeks), and seriously in need of some face down in the water time (i.e. snorkeling - one of my favorite pastimes). There are transitions ahead for which I am not sure I am ready. There are situations in which I will be called upon to lead, yet if I could I would turn the other direction and run away. I will be making decisions that could have serious effects in the lives of others. I will be asked to set aside many of the things I really want to be working on in order to accomplish the desires of others. I see some really cool things, so great possibilities in the future, but when it seems like I am getting closer to them, I crest the top of the hill only to find another valley which must be traversed in order to get to them. Such is life though, right?

These are my musings - such as they are. In a few minutes I am going to walk out of the house with my incredible wife and eat a wonderful dinner with some good friends. In the middle of all of the challenges of life, God still gives us great friends, incredible sunsets, the view of the Adriatic off the coast of Montenegro (we were there earlier this week for a short day trip) and I still would not trade this life for anything else. God never said the trip would be easy, but He did promise His presence along the way.

1 comment:

Carol said...

A Kontaktmissionary friend said, "If it doesn't hurt, you are doing it wrong!" Keep stretching my friend, I had a meat pie for you as well as some fish n chips!